Eight years ago, when I first met Siobhan, she
showed me this picture
: (
and I knew that it meant "sad," which is
what I felt when I found the dead dog.
Then she showed me this picture
: )
and I knew that it
meant “happy,” like when I’m reading about the Apollo space missions…Then she
drew some other pictures
: / >: )
:o
But I was unable to
say what these meant…
I like dogs. You
always know what a dog is thinking. It has four moods. Happy, sad, cross and
concentrating. Also, dogs are faithful and they do not tell lies because they
cannot talk.
I love The curious incident of the dog in
the night-time so far, I think it’s one of the best readings we’ve had.
What interested me most in the novel is the way it portrays an Autistic child
and the way his challenges in communication are presented. While reading
through the preceding excerpt, what struck me was that Christopher despises
ambiguity. Throughout the novel, he is brutally honest, unable to fathom being
anything else. As such, it is natural that he would hate language, that he
would hate communication. By its nature, language is arbitrary, it is ambiguous
and requires an active imagination; however, an individual that is overly
empirical,one that can only see what is
and nothing else can’t understand the nature of language to its fullest. But I think
this brings up an interesting point: Chistopher is able to adapt to use
language at its most basic sense, but is not able comprehend the use of
metaphors and symbolism. In many ways though, what Christopher points to is the
ambiguity in language, and the ambiguity in interpretation. We go through such
great lengths in trying to interpret, but if everyone was like Christopher, and
simply said what they meant instead of creating ambiguity through metaphors and
such, wouldn’t communication be incredibly easier? To be honest, don’t imaginations,
fantasies and such just detract from the truth?
No comments:
Post a Comment